DigitalDeathDay

From IdCommons
Jump to: navigation, search

Late January 2011 Call

Date TBD - Doodle poll link -

Agenda Items

Action items from last call

  • Kaliya & Evan complete survey
    • Subsequently we as a community have to figure out where to distribute
  • Kaliya find SXSW booth costs
    • Outline how sharing booth could work $ wise
  • Kaliya to work with blog expert to get the blog reader sharing to work with wordpress
    • Community willing to share work of updating it - once set up we need to figure out schedule
  • Look at date windows for NA conf - maybe via doodle poll? with weeks from like end of April -> June

Tabled - ID commons charter

Early January 2011 Call

Agenda

  • Survey
    • Review make suggestions on the Survey
    • Talk about plan to distribute survey
  • Media Coverage this week!
    • NYTimes Magazine
    • FreshAir
    • WOW!
    • How do we feel about all of this - do we need to coordinate in some way or is it all working out ok.
    • How do we leverage the interest into attendees at Digital Death Day?


  • Feb Personal Digital Archive Event - Happy Hour - ideas/sponsors etc.
  • SXSW any further thoughts on what makes sense for a 1/2 day-3h event
  • Looking at Date Windows for the North American Conference. Dates "are available" for people.
  • European Event
    • it is in September but what we should we be doing now to prepare/coordinate.
  • Taking care of community assets - ideas for cooperating/coordinating for these tools
    • Tweeting
    • Bloggins
  • Moving towards being chartered "officially" as an Identity Commons working group so we can use the bank account and continue using mailing list and wiki tools. Charter http://wiki.idcommons.net/Digital_Death_Charter and picking a Steward the "big" commitment with that is reporting group activity once a month on the community stewards call.
  • Other Items

Attendees

+ - Thomas in Switzerland (ruddyconsult) (www.thomasruddy.eu)
+ - Jennifer in SF
+ - Anand in London
+ - Cathy in SF
+ - Evan Carroll in Raleigh NC
+ - John Romano in Raleigh
+ - Nathan Dosch in Milwaukee WI
+ - Nate Lustig in Santiago, Chile
+ - Kaliya
+ - Adam Burg (Legacy Lockler)
+ - Stacey Pitsillides in London
+ - Susan Gibbs in SF

Notes

Notes:

Survey

  • Who should we send to?
  • Regional area events - is that an option for people to select?
  • Needs explanation of who we are - Explain who we are.

Why DDD? suggestions:

  • We need a meeting to bring providers together who have been developing models that were very different from one another.
  • Biggest challenge: no legal standard exists currently
  • Cross industry standards/norms
  • Communication between different aspects of the industry
  • Increase awareness to broader public
  • Experts interacting with each other - multidisciplinary interaction among e.g. lawyers, social scientists,
  • Establishing businesses within legal standards
  • we are good at convening a space.


Media coverage

  • NPR/Fresh Air
  • NYT
  • CES launch - chronicals of life foundation
  • BBC
  • Reach out to Dave W i n e r?
  • Long Now event?
  • Reflect community on DDD - blog agg. etc
  • Reporters seeking us?

Media sponsors


    • How do we leverage the interest into attendees at Digital Death Day?
  • We have a common agenda, but specific interests.
  • Stacey: A DDD community exists.
  • Kaliya: an interdisciplinary collaboration, should be made apparent on our Website
  • Go to http://personaldataecosystem.org/ and click on "blog" Kaliya would organize funding. It will require maintenance. Who would do that daily servicing? distribute responsibility for maintaining the blog.
  • Anand: we should find a plug-in.
  • Kaliya: How to share responsibility of keeping it going? Option 1 = aggregate blogs or Option 2 = PDE site RSS from 100 sites into Google leader and only taking ones that are on topic. Takes everyday 5 minutes.
  • Q for those getting media coverage:
  • A: Anand : initial media coverage brings more media coverage.
  • Q Kaliya: "actual news"?
  • A: John (?) Getting good press coverage requires newsworthy speakers, persons getting their logos on Website then get speaking; read the Tech Blog of NYT to understand what's curent.
  • Q Kaliya: when we have a date, we could set up a media team.
  • A : John (?) has come up every so often.




Events

  • Personal Archiving - Feb 22-23
    • Happy Hour ;-p
  • SXSW - Maybe 14th after panel
    • title of panel: "You're dead; your data isn't. What happens next?"
    • We're publishing: grave-robbers , HT stop ID theft.
    • Booth to share! Kaliya will check the booth prices
  • European Event

Action Items

  • Kaliya & Evan complete survey
    • Subsequently we as a community have to figure out where to distribute
  • Kaliya find SXSW booth costs
    • Outline how sharing booth could work $ wise
  • Kaliya to work with blog expert to get the blog reader sharing to work with wordpress
    • Community willing to share work of updating it - once set up we need to figure out schedule
  • Look at date windows for NA conf - maybe via doodle poll? with weeks from like end of April -> June

Tabled - ID commons charter

Next Call

Late December 2010 Call:

I wanted to report to the community about outcomes from a focused conversation we had with Evan & John from the Digital Beyond Blog and Stacey Pitsillidies.

I have updated the website to reflect these outcomes too -http://www.digitaldeathday.com


There is a core group that will work on pulling the details together for a Digital Death Day Europe around the Death Dying and Disposal Conference in September in the Netherlands composed of Stacey, Esther and the folks from Ziggur. (Should we set up a planning mailing list for it?)

We are not sure when and where to put a North American Event. We are going to work on a survey and circulate it around early in the new year. Evan is working on a draft and will circulate to list - we can use Kaliya's Survey Monkey to post.

This event needs to be community promoted - we are looking for other key leaders in the field who might be a good fit for this. So please raise your hand if you want to help out.

We are doing:

  • A social evening at the Personal Digital Archive Conference http://personalarchiving.com in February in the Bay Area. We are hoping some of the Bay Area based companis in this space can sponsor it and that Pierre Wolff and Jeremy can play a key roll in helping promote it to people beyond the conference. Other Bay Area people can help too! if you are interested please raise hand by replying.
  • The Digital Beyond is organizing a panel for SXSW and we will organize some meetup/mini-unconference thing there - Kaliya is going to inquire about venues from locals and Evan and John are going to get more info on relevant things happening at the conference so we can figure out a date/time.

The mailing list is now publically open for more subscribers http://lists.idcommons.net/lists/subscribe/digitaldeath Please invite people who belong in the conversation with us.

We are going to do a Next call for the community likely at the same time 8am pacific 11am eastern 4pm London 5pm Europe

I propose Wednesday the 5th of January. Does this work for folks?

  • We should have the survey to review + more organizing info for the SXSW and the Personal Archiving event.

( I can work on finding an international bridge for us to borrow so we don't have to do skype. )

-Kaliya