Stewards Council Telecom: 2010 April 7

From IdCommons
Jump to: navigation, search

Stewards Council Telecon: 2010 April 7 - call to start at 9:15 PST, 12:15 EST

Attending

  • Kaliya Hamlin
  • Mary Ruddy (Higgins)
  • Paul Trevithick (Higgins, Identity Schema's)
  • John Bradley (OSIS)
  • Dean landsman (Project VRM)
  • Dan Perry (accoutant lawyer)
  • Mike Kirkwood (user-centric health)
  • Heidi Nobantu Saul (IIW co-facilitator)
  • Ellias Bizannes (Data Portability)
  • Nat Sakimura (XDI.org)
  • Arron Titus (Privacy Commons)
  • Drummond Reed (Information Card Foundation)
  • Don Thibeau (OpenID Foundation)
  • Chris Reynolds (Newbies 4 Newbies)

Minuets

1) Status update reports - 1-3 minutes from each project.

  • Project VRM
    • Emancipay app accepted for public radio contributions
    • VRM meeting in London this week - Doc is there
  • OSIS
    • Participated at RSA and was the "organizer" of the official OASIS interop
    • Next interop is planned for Catalyst but it is not announced yet
  • OpenID
    • Rescope of mission to be more inclusive of a solutions approach and structural change.
    • Started work on what will become OpenID vNext, and officially formed several work groups in the OpenID Foundation. The results are all up on the wiki and all the presentations.
  • User-centric Health
    • Has been quiet. Mike has personally been participating in several other group efforts: California HIE and recently in two Kantara initiatives, WGA identity assurance framework and the group Joe runs. User centric heath conjurs-up the idea of a user channeling how to get information. Have been focusing on participating in a couple of the federal groups. The two biggest things are the end to end direct and interop between states and entities. Judy Clark made some of us aware of it. I’m working on use cases nhindirect.org. Brian Belendorf. is one of the leaders of that group.
    • There will be a Health Camp on October 6th
  • Privacy Commons - not an official IC working group Aaron has joined calls for several months and was invited to share what his group is up to
    • The group aiming to launch new version of website in a month or two. Whole idea is make privacy policy’s more useful. Current approach is either corporate or data centric. Both assume that data is property of a sort. We want to analyze privacy policies from a user centric perspective. Data equals self. Privacy policy talks about discrete data, but people care about core privacy values. If self is data and data is property, then self may become property. We are asking “What do people care about privacy?” It is like copyright work done at Creative Commons. These deal with violations of confidentiality, trust, etc. For example, based on my interactions with you, what determinations will others make that may effect my reputation or solitude, etc. We are identifying common cultural notions about what people care about privacy.
  • Information Card Foundation
    • About half of Drummond’s energy is being contributed to OIX. He has been working with Ely Kahn, the White House Cyber security director on the National strategy for Secure Online transactions (NS-SOT). It was on federal radio on Monday. A new national trust framework is being announced in the Sep timeframe with Obama signing it. The other thing is the interop. Mary already talked about that.
  • Data Portability
    • Elias did the Startup Bus where people get on a Bus and in 800 miles design, build and launch a startup. He said that they had to be a part of this create a portability pledge and that they used what is being finalized - portabilitypolicy.org that is 9 questions startups answer
  • Higgins Project
    • Client Software for unix, apple, windows, iPhone and Android
    • Working on Blind Store for Personal Data Store where only people have the key
  • Internet Identity Workshop
    • IIW is May 17-19. We are starting at 9:00 AM on Monday morning. We will do 5 sessions a day for 3 says. There are15 sessions in total. We will have dinner Monday and Tuesday night as per usual. There is only one hour of introductory talk. I wanted to get your thoughts on how to be comprehensive without over whelming. I want to talk about this next. Also there will be demos for an hour after lunch. On Wednesday we will probably end at 4:00. Not sure when we will end. Currently the agenda says 5:00.


Here is more of a flow of what people said.

We started off with the VRM report from Dean Landsman

Dean – There is a an app store for public radio. We are getting interesting reactions on how to use it. Doc just landed in London for a VRM London meeting at BT on Thursday night.

Kaliya – You could blog about that on the ID commons blog

Dean – If you skype that do me, I will do that.

Kaliya - ohn, can you talk about OSIS and maybe an OpenID?

John (OSIS) - We largely participated in the interop at RSA. Though it was officially an OASIS event, all the work was done by the OSIS group.

Mary – We did an IMI interop of the government profile at RSA in an OASIS booth. This was the first time we had done an interop on the show floor. While it is great to participate in the Kantara event on Monday, that leaves the rest of the event uncovered. It was very helpful to have the OASIS booth as a club house during the event.

Mary – The next interop is being planned for Catalyst. It is still in the planning stages and is not yet announced.

John – There were various inquiries in the last week from Kantara. They would like to include OSIS testing in some of their upcoming test events. I’m working this out with Don and Drummond.

John (OpenID) - We decided to create several working groups for vNext.

John – Nat and I traveled from the opposite ends of the globe for the OpenID meeting and technology summit. Started work on what will become OpenID vNext, and officially formed several work groups in the OpenID Foundation. The results are all up on the wiki and all the presentations.

Kaliya - How are things generally going with the new board?

Nat – It is picking up as a technology community . There are several constituencies. One is technology, one is adoption, all of these communities are coming together.

Kaliya – Mike what is up in user centric health?

Mike - It is dormant. I’ve been participating in several other group efforts: California HIE and recently in two Kantara initiatives, WGA identity assurance framework and the group Joe runs. User centric heath conjurs-up the idea of a user channeling how to get information. Have been focusing on participating in a couple of the federal groups. The two biggest things are the end to end direct and interop between states and entities. Judy Clark made some of us aware of it. I’m working on use cases nhindirect.org. Brian O. is one of the leaders of that group.

Kaliya - I’ve known him for years and am lobbying him to come to IIW. Do you think there is overlap between what you are talking about and PDN?

Mike- Yes. Overlap is the nature of the game. There is overlap in sanctioned groups and other consumer efforts. Have been working on user centric user cases on an open wiki anyone can contribute to. There is another heath camp at Kaiser on Oct 6.

Aaron (Privacy Commons) – Are aiming to launch new version of website in a month or two. Whole idea is make privacy policy’s more useful. Current approach is either corporate or data centric. Both assume that data is property of a sort. We want to analyze privacy policies from a user centric perspective. Data equals self. Privacy policy talks about discrete data, but people care about core privacy values. If self is data and data is property, then self may become property. We are asking “What do people care about privacy?” It is like copyright work done at Creative Commons.

Erin - These deal with violations of confidentiality, trust, etc. For example, based on my interactions with you, what determinations will others make that may effect my reputation or solitude, etc. We are identifying common cultural notions about what people care about privacy.

Erin - I’m definitely trying to come to IIW.

Paul (ICF) - About half of Drummond’s energy is being contributed to OIX. He has been working with Ely Kahn, the White House Cyber security director on the National strategy for Secure Online transactions (NS-SOT). It was on federal radio on Monday. A new national trust framework is being announced in the Sep timeframe with Obama signing it. The other thing is the interop. Mary already talked about that.

2) IIW Preparations including structuring the introduction segment on Monday morning

Kaliya (IIW) – IIW is May 17-19. We are starting at 9:00 AM on Monday morning. We will do 5 sessions a day for 3 says. There are15 sessions in total. We will have dinner Monday and Tuesday night as per usual. There is only one hour of introductory talk. I wanted to get your thoughts on how to be comprehensive without over whelming. I want to talk about this next. Also there will be demos for an hour after lunch. On Wednesday we will probably end at 4:00. Not sure when we will end. Currently the agenda says 5:00.

Dean – I was at a meeting in Boston 3 weeks ago. There were comments that the opening was too long.

Kaliya – I expect that I and Phil will talk the whole time.

Dean – I thought that Drummond and Paul really set the stage will last time.

Kaliya – I’m thinking about lots of visuals and maps – where we came from – protocol family trees, an organization family of trees...

Dean – Go through them quickly and point people to a URL.


3) Planning for other events such as EU-IC, Catalyst, etc.

Kaliya – Mary, can you say more about Catalyst?

Mary – In addition to the interop, which is being planned?

Kaliya – Yes

Mary - For a long time Bob Blakely has wanted to do an Identity business case event. Though a lot of progress has been made in the last year, there are still a number of unresolved issues in this area. Though it is not definite yet, we are looking into holding one at the start of Catalyst. (Catalyst is July 26-30 in San Diego).

Kaliya - There is also a July 23rd thing in Denver.

Kaliya – It would be great to talk about general publicity. I have IIW stickers to give out.


4) Blogging on http://www.idcommons.net

Kaliya - Final topic is who has seen the new blog.

Kaliya – We need to talk about more community activity there. People should commit to post on a particular week. Or maybe post a link to your own blogs. …. Several people volunteer.

Kaliya – The next call is May 5th. Anything else?

Kaliya - Heidi has been on the call the whole time.

Heidi – Hi see you all soon hopefully.

End.

Agenda

  • Review of agenda
  • Volunteer to take notes

ITEMS

1) Status update reports - 1-3 minutes from each project.

  • ID-Legal - how was the event May 17-18
  • OpenID, - how was the OpenIDvNext event?
  • ICF, ID-Media and ID Futures, - Bob are we reading anything
  • Project VRM, - what's new - when are events around IIW
  • DataPortability, - TOS success with Startup Bus
  • OSIS, - when is next interop? Catalyst?
  • Kids Online, - I think it is quiet. Denise has been busy. :) but we could think about an event around IIW11
  • IIW, - Number 10 is happening
  • User-Centric Health, - what is happening
  • New potential groups, - yes maybe Brett will attend call to share thoughts on group focused on Nick's work, Drummond and company are working on new work too.

2) IIW Preparations including structuring the introduction segment on Monday morning

This IIW starts with agenda creation at 10 am on Monday morning May 17th. Before this we have an hour to explain stuff to new and old people - to give collective context. What do we want this to be?

3) Planning for other events such as EU-IC, Catalyst, etc.

Let's talk about this. Lots is going on we should focus on the IC presence out in the world in the coming 6 months.

4) Blogging on [1]

YEAH!!!! we have a new blog and website is Beautiful (or at least better looking).

We would love to have a few folks commit to blogging there once a month. Yes just once a month.