Welcome to the Identity Commons Wiki
We are a community of groups working on addressing the social, legal and technical issues that arise with the emerging, identity, data and social layer of the internet.
The purpose of Identity Commons is to support, facilitate, and promote the creation of an open identity layer for the Internet -- one that maximizes control, convenience, and privacy for the individual while encouraging the development of healthy, interoperable communities.
Identity Commons is open, inclusive, and bottoms-up, community of groups. They share an agreement and agree to abide by a set of principles to help assure this. Membership resides in the Community Groups. There is a Stewards Council - with a representative from each group.
We provide a minimal structure for supporting community activities, and we hold space for the entire community to collaborate, and facilitate dialogue. You can learn more about our History and Background and organizational details Articles Of Incorporation, Bylaws, Identity Commons Brand Transfer.
- Join one of the Community Groups - Identity Commons is organized as a set of distributed working groups.
- Attend a community conference
- Internet Identity Workshops happen every 6 months in Mountain View and there are Satellite events around the world and connected to other conferences.
- Subscribe to a mailing list
- Participate in telecons - See Stewards Council Telecons for information about how to participate in our quarterly (and sometimes more) calls, which are open to everyone in the Identity Commons community.
- Edit the ID Commons Wiki - Use your OpenID URL or i-name to login, and follow the instructions. See [Wikimedia Help] for more information.
Learn More About the Organization
- Purpose And Principles - The "core DNA" of the Identity Commons (IC).
- How We Collaborate - Information on how participants in IC work together
- Stewards Council - The coordinating body for IC working groups.
- Organizational Structure - A short explanation of how and why IC is structured as an "upside down umbrella".
- Working Group Agreement - The implied contract between a working group and IC as a whole.
- Working Group Charter Template - The template any working group sponsor(s) can use to form a working group.
- Background - A brief history. A longer History
- IC Logo this explains the history of our logo.
- Organizational Details Articles Of Incorporation, Bylaws, Identity Commons Brand Transfer.
Learn More about the Identity Space
- Identity Landscape is a community-wide project to produce a living "map" of the Internet identity space, including efforts both inside and outside Identity Commons. All community members are invited to contribute.
- The Identity Gang Working Group maintains a list of resources for the user-centric identity space.
- Lexicon is a project of the Identity Gang to harmonize vocabulary for user-centric identity architecture.