This page is about user-centric identity. Identity systems where the user is in control. It is not about enterprise identity management or traditional notions of federation and account linking.
I. Concepts, principles, background
- TrustGuide Final Report, October 2006, Upload new attachment Trustguide - Final Report
2005 - 2nd half
- "Linux for suits: Independent Identity", Doc Searls, Cover story of LinuxJournal, September 2005
- Identity 2.0 keynote at OSCON, Dick Hardt, movie
- "One login to bind them all", WiredNews, Aug 1 2005
- "Personal Digital Identity: the unfolding story", Simon Grice and David Goodman, Midentity, July 2005, PDF
2005 - 1st half
- [http://www.identitygang.org/moin.cgi/Reference?action=AttachFile&rename=Identity_Management_Concepts.pd "Identity Management Concepts", Dan Blum, Burton Group, --courtesy of Jamie Lewis
- Corollaries of Identifiers to the "Laws of Identity": First, Second, Third, Fourth, Drummond Reed
- Four more Laws of Identity: Freedom, Decentralization, Portability, Transparency, Fen Labalme
- Laws of Identity, Kim Cameron, Microsoft
- A Primer on User Identification, Stefan Brands, Panopticon, The 15th Annual Conference on Computers, Freedom & Privacy, Keeping an Eye on the Panopticon: Workshop on Vanishing Anonymity, Seattle, April 12, 2005. PDF.
- "This week The [Gillmor] Gang digs deeper into digital identity with a panel of experts. It begins as a Kumbaya of identity vendors and technologies, but by the second half the gloves come off..." IT Conversations - Dec 31st, The Gillmor Gang
- The Dawn of Independent Identity, Doc Searls, DIDW October 27, 2004 Keynote. PPT.
- The need for a personal directory, Dave Kearns, NetworkWorld, May 1, 2002
- Facted Id/Entity: Managing representation in a digital world, dana boyd, master's thesis, MIT, 2001, PDF
- "Security Without Identification: Transaction Systems to Make Big Brother Obsolete," D. Chaum, (invited) Communications of the ACM, vol. 28 no. 10, October 1985 pp. 1030-1044; Revised version (in Dutch) Informatie, pp. 213, 1987. Extended and revised version: Subtitled "Card Computers to Make Big Brother Obsolete" (in German), Informatik-Spektrum, vol. 10, pp. 262-277 1987; & Datenschutz und Datensicherung, no. 1, 1988, pp. 26-41.
Policy, law and society
- Montreux Declaration: The protection of personal data and privacy in a globalized world: a universal right respecting diversities, Signed 16 September, 2005, PDF. For an elaboration of these principles, see the OECD Guidelines on the Protection of Privacy and Transborder Flows of Personal Data (1980):
- The RealID Act of 2005, MIT online forum
- Liberty Alliance Project, "Circles of Trust: The Implications of EU Data Protection and Privacy Law for Establishing a Legal Framework for Identity Federation" PDF
- ACLU Pizza Movie --must see. Funny/scary.
Why Trust is Bad for Security, Dieter Gollman, 2005, PPT
- "D3.2: Models" FIDIS, October, 2005, PDF
- "The Claim Tool Kit for Ad-hoc Recognition of Peer Entities", J.-M. Seigneur and C. D. Jensen, in the Journal of Science of Computer Programming, Elsevier, 2004. PDF
- Federation of Identities in a Web Services World, IBM/Microsoft Joint paper, 2003
- "End-to-end Trust Starts with Recognition", J.-M. Seigneur, S. Farrell, C. D. Jensen, E. Gray, and Y. Chen, in Proceedings of the First International Conference on Security in Pervasive Computing, Boppard, Germany, LNCS 2802, Springer-Verlag, 2003. PDF